Currently, Tumblr will display all images you upload to it. This is pesky if you want to upload an image to be used as a background, or as part of a theme.
You dont want “layout-critical” images displayed in your stream of content.
Currently, my way around this is:
- Upload the file like a normal photo
- View the file via Tumblr like a normal photo
- Right-Click and “Copy Image Location” - Put this in notepad.
- Click on the “Add/Edit my posts” link in the upper right.
- Delete the post containing the thematic element.
- I have not noticed any garbage collection routines that clear out uploaded images after they are deleted. This may be implemented later.
- Click “Change Settings” to edit your theme.
- Use the URL from notepad where you would like to use your image within the theme editor.